Each day, people around the world are subjected to human rights violations. Some of these violations are blatant and easy to spot, while others are more subtle and occur behind closed doors. Here are 10 human rights violations happening right now, in no particular order.
1. Violence against women: Globally, one in three women will experience physical or sexual violence in her lifetime, with rates of domestic violence being particularly high in many countries. This is a gross violation of women’s human rights and needs to be addressed urgently.
2. Persecution of minorities: Whether it be the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, the Uighurs in China or the indigenous people of Brazil, minorities around the world are facing persecution. This often takes the form of violence, but can also include discrimination in education, employment, and housing.
3. Child labor: According to UNICEF, there are still 168 million children around the world who are forced to work, many of them in hazardous conditions. This is a violation of their rights to education and to be free from exploitation.
4. Human trafficking: An estimated 21 million people are victims of human trafficking worldwide, with women and girls making up the vast majority. This horrific practice involves people being sold into slavery for the purposes of sexual exploitation, forced labor or organ harvesting.
5. Forced marriage: Every year, 15 million girls are married off against their will, usually before the age of 18. This is a grave violation of their human rights, as they are not given a choice in who they marry or whether they want to get married at all.
6. Child soldiers: An estimated 300,000 children are currently being used as soldiers in armed conflicts around the world. This is a violation of their rights to life and to be free from violence.
7. Torture: Despite being outlawed by the UN Convention Against Torture, torture is still practiced in many countries around the world. This cruel and inhuman practice is a violation of the human rights of those who are subjected to it.
8. Capital punishment: Although the death penalty is technically legal in many countries, its use has been declining in recent years. However, there are still some countries where people are executed for crimes such as drug trafficking, adultery, and even blasphemy. This is a violation of the right to life.
9. Extrajudicial killings: Also known as “summary executions”, these are killings carried out by state officials without any judicial process. This is a gross violation of the right to a fair trial and the right to life.
10. Forced eviction: This is when people are forcibly removed from their homes, often with little or no notice, and without any compensation. This is a violation of the right to housing and can often lead to homelessness.
These are just some of the human rights violations that are happening around the world right now. It’s important to be aware of them so that we can try to stop them. Together, we can make a difference.