Earlier this month, white working class Americans provided the margin for GOP victory in the election and now, as those Republicans prepare to take office, the screwing of those working class Americans is about to begin.
A deal is in the works between house Republicans and aides of outgoing majority leader, Harry Reid for a tax package totaling $440 billion in breaks to businesses. The Republicans will legitimately call it a tax cut, but for millions of working people, it is anything but. The deal which focuses on renewing existing tax breaks, leaves out renewal of the Earned Income Tax Credit and the child tax credit for working families.
Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew labeled the measure a wrong move saying,
“An extender package that makes permanent expiring business provisions without addressing tax credits for working families is the wrong approach, at the expense of middle-class families.”
The President has threatened a veto. Also left to expire by the bill are credits to develop wind power deemed unfair by the oil industry (which collect billions in subsidies of their own.)
The GOP has a long history of bait and switch when it comes to those working class voters going back to the Reagan years. Great headlines were made with the announcement of his 1981 tax cuts which saved billions for corporations and the very wealthy and even saved a few dollars for the working man or woman. Little attention was paid, however, when those tax cuts were followed for the next six years with increases in Social Security withholdings and a higher gasoline levy which left working class Americans paying a higher proportion of their incomes at the end of Reagan’s term than at the beginning of it.
Fortunately for the GOP, most of those voters never did the math at the time. They are hoping none of them do it now.
YOU ARE A LIBERAL IF …
1. You are able to form your own opinion without the influence of television.
2. You are colorblind when it comes to race or national origin.
3. You are serious about recycling.
4. You believe a woman has the right to make her own medical decisions without government intrusion.
5. You believe education and health care should be subsidized for the common good.
6. You believe government is “of the people, for the people and by the people” and not just for corporations.
7. You believe in “Liberty and Justice FOR ALL”.
8. You believe in the separation of church and state.
9. You believe in, and have even read a book or two about science.
10. You believe people are more important than corporations.
11. You believe that affordable healthcare is a basic right – not a privilege (for the privileged).
12. You believe that the Bible and the Constitution are not interchangeable.
13. You can find Iraq on a map while understanding that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.
14. You consider all the facts on issues instead of calling your grandparents and asking them what to think.
15. You do not believe corporations are people too, friend.
16. You don’t believe that being a woman is a “pre-existing condition”.
17. You have left a restaurant because Fox News was on the television.
18. You know how to read a map and understand there is a world outside our borders.
19. You know the difference between adhering to the Ten Commandments and merely preaching them when convenient.
20. You know the difference between fascism and communism.
21. You know what being socialist actually means.
22. You like books, not viewing them as merely being kindling.
23. You prefer to breathe non-cancer-causing air and drink non-toxic water.
24. You read food labels.
25. You registered Republican so you could vote for their weakest candidate in their primaries.
26. You remember that Reagan increased taxes on the rich.
27. You remember that Reagan strongly believed in the separation of church and state.
28. You think that sexual relations between two consenting adults is their personal and private business.
29. You try to live up to the ideals Jesus taught such as brotherly love, taking care of the sick, the elderly, the poor.
30. You understand that “trickle-down economics” is like a “pissing contest” in that nobody ever wins – everyone just ends up getting wet.
The last couple of years, President Obama has put forward an agenda to expand opportunity for all Americans, so that everyone who works hard can get ahead.
That agenda starts with creating more new jobs by investing in American manufacturing, exports, energy and innovation.
Conservative are always going on about their FAKE 40+ jobs bills they claim to have passed, while accusing President Obama of doing nothing to expand employment opportunities.
WRONG – It’s just more conservative spin!
Here’s 5 things you should tell conservatives about Obama and jobs:
FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
1. Businesses have created more than 9.7 million private sector jobs in the past 52 months.
2. After nearly collapsing, the U.S. auto industry has added nearly 250,000 jobs — the fastest pace of job growth in more than a decade.
3. American manufacturers have added more than 500,000 jobs since January 2012, the strongest period of job growth since 1989. President Obama wants to boost that trend.
4. Since 2009, the Small Business Administration has helped distribute more than $93 billion in loans for 166,000 small businesses.
5. President Obama’s middle-class tax cuts, first signed into law in December 2010, are providing tax relief for 160 million workers to help jump start the economy. For the typical family, that’s $40 extra with each pay check.
As promised, Anonymous claims to have assumed control of the @KuKluxKlanUSA Twitter account, posting a tweet late Tuesday revealing personal information about Frank Ancona, the Grand wizard of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan *TAKKK) and his alleged associates. The information, contained in two Pastebin documents contains the names, social security numbers, credit card and banking information, address, telephone number, social media accounts and any other detailed personal data Anonymous could obtain.
Although the grand jury failed to return an indictment against Officer Darren Wilson, hacktivist group Anonymous is vowing to continue their investigation, linking Wilson to the Ku Klux Klan.
As we reported last weekAnonymous has released evidence they claim links the Ku Klux Klan to the Ferguson police department and officer Darren Wilson as the country waited on pins and needles for the final decision of the Missouri grand jury investigating the shooting death of Michael Brown.
According to Anonymous, in the days leading up to the grand jury finding, the South East Missouri Chapter of the KKK known as TAKKKK distributed flyers in Ferguson, MO, making lethal threats toward activists on the ground.
In response, several activists asked Anonymous to launch #OpKKK. Local Anons in the St Louis and Ferguson area then launched #HoodsOff as a way to identify Klan members who might try to embed themselves within the protester community. After identifying multiple members of TAKKKK, Anonymous discovered that 3 of the highest ranking members were present at a Darren Wilson rally in Imperial, MO, that had previously been rumored to be organized by the Klan.
Last Wednesday Anonymous received an email from an informant that read:
“This has gotten out of control. They want to kill me. And after you release this information, they will want to kill me. I am scared for my life right now. I am begging you to please do not release the information that I gave. I’m afraid that because the information I provided is so specific, that it will definitely be traced back to me, and I will be in danger. I am a long time supporter of Anonymous, and have trusted you with my identity. Now I feel my life is in your hands. I’m begging you please. I have a family to think of.”
This informant has been confirmed the the Anti-Media website to be “an employee with access to the St. Louis County Police Department.”
However, in light of the aforementioned email, Anonymous has decided to try and take another look at all the information they have received so far to see if there is any way they can connect all the dots since the information obtained from their police informant was detailed enough that it likely could lead to the exposure of that individual if released in its entirety to the general public.
We will keep you posted on information as this story develops.
CBS affiliate KOIN 6 in Gresham Oregon is reporting that a man that was practicing “open carry” with a brand new handgun was robbed of it – at gunpoint.
The station reports that on October 4th the victim, William Coleman III, was displaying his brand-new Walther P22handgun to his cousin at about 2 A.M. when he was approached by another man wearing flip-flops and sweat pants, who asked for a cigarette. After displaying his own weapon in his waistband, he told Coleman;
“I like your gun. Give it to me.”
Coleman relinquished the weapon and the assailant fled on foot. In, you know, those flip-flops.
We would provide you with a description, but honestly we’re not trying to solve a crime, here. We’re just mocking some “open-carry” douchebag that got robbed at gunpoint. 🙂
If ever there was a succinct argument for sensible gun laws, this is it.